Linking Evidence-Based Practice with a Nursing Procedure
The University of South Dakota
Pre-Licensure ADN/Diploma, Pre-Licensure BSN, RN to BSN
Clinical Setting, Skills or Simulation Laboratories
- Research the procedure through websites such as the CDC or Joint Commission to obtain the steps to this procedure • Find an evidence-based practice article about the procedure.
- Find the hospital’s protocol for PICC line dressing change, ask RNs on the unit where to find the procedure, and how the procedure (or any new procedure) is disseminated to staff on the unit
- Compare and contrast the steps listed in the hospital’s procedure with how other RNs perform the procedure. If there are deviations from the written protocol, what are they and why do the nurses deviate from the written protocol?
- Compare and contrast the hospital’s protocol with the information found in the evidence-based practice article
- Summarize the article on evidence-based practice to the clinical group, and report e information gathered throughout the clinical day
- Student written reflections about the assignment, including challenges regarding implementing evidence-based practice in the clinical setting